Monday, December 14, 2015

Her hardest hue to hold

Many years ago, the Monterey Aquarium had an exhibit of Dale Chihuly's art glass sea forms.
I took this picture then, and found it just now when I was looking for something else. 
It reminded me of the phrase "Only gold can stay" 
which I thought I must have heard somewhere. 
Upon looking it up I find the phrase differs (see the Frost poem below.)
And thus was constructed this blog post! Now I am thinking
about language and the vagaries of memory.


Nothing Gold Can Stay
  
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost


"Nothing Gold Can Stay" is a poem by Robert Frost, written in 1923, and published in the Yale Review in October of that year. It was later published in the collection New Hampshire that earned Frost the 1924 Pulitzer Prize for Poetry.Wikipedia

Your task: write a poem based on a color found in nature. I plan to work with green. . .

Ginkgo leaves for Mimi, San Jose, December 12, 2015. jhh

No comments:

Post a Comment