Thursday, May 14, 2015

Rope Swing over Water

As the weather gets better and better, the creek draws me there frequently,
but this swing is for kids, not for me!
I have a bench or a chair to sit on, and if I sit quietly, 
a few mallard males will come and bathe at the far edge of the water.
The females are nesting, somewhere in the grassy verges, and not to be seen.

Today I got a pocket-sized book
of selected poems on nature
by Denise Levertov.
It is called The Life Around Us.
Right now it is making me happy!


The way the willow-bark
braids its furrows
is answered by the willow-branches
swaying their green leaf-weavings
over the river shallows,
assenting, affirming.

Denise Levertov

The Life Around Us; selected poems on nature,
New Directions, 1997, page 18.




No comments:

Post a Comment