Wednesday, November 05, 2014

Light

Naturally, I had my camera in my pocket when I came out of the meeting 
of the Camera Club of Eagle tonight. This is the entrance to Eagle's City Hall, 
where we have our meetings. I met my friend who ran for the legislature
in this state controlled by not-her-party. She was pleased that, while not winning, 
she made a much better showing than people thought she would be able to.

In Galway Kinnell's collection, to which I returned after his recent death: The Avenue Bearing the Initial of Christ into the New World; poems 1946-1964, there is much excellent poetry. This is part 2 of the poem called "For Robert Frost" which is a poem in 5 parts. And maybe tomorrow I can forget about elections. For a while.


For Robert Frost

2
I saw you once on the TV, 
Unsteady at the lectern,
The flimsy white leaf
Of hair standing straight up
In the wind, among top hats,
Old farmer and son
Of worse winters than this,
Stopped in the first dazzle

Of the District of Columbia
Suddenly having to pay
For the cheap onionskin,
The worn-out ribbon, the eyes
Wrecked from writing poems
For us---stopped,
Lonely before millions,
The paper jumping in your grip,

And as the Presidents
Also on the platform
Began flashing nervously
Their Presidential smiles
For the harmless old guy,
And poets watching on the TV
Started thinking, Well, that's
The end of that tradition,

And the managers of the event
Said, Boys this is it
This sonofabitch poet
is gonna croak,
Putting the paper aside
You drew forth
From your great faithful heart,
The poem.

Galway Kinnell   op. cit. pages 142-143.

Eight-line stanzas, except for the extra line, "The poem," in the last stanza. I remember this so well, the bright light on Frost's shock of white hair, holding my own breath until he finished, the bright promise of the young president. . .
     Now all are gone, Galway, Robert, Jack. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment