Sunday, August 17, 2014

Those tiny thistle seeds



I was looking to see if I could find a haiku about Thistle Seeds because I love the way the seeds line up against the clear plastic of the thistle feeder. Often I see things in a photo that I hadn't noticed in real life! I am not a big fan of the artistic merit of these yellow plastic flowers, but they seem to do the trick. I caught these Goldfinch beauties yesterday with the 21x lens of the Samsung that is like a white phone but without the phoning. Even then I had to crop. I am having to refill the feeder about twice a week, but the finch come only two or three birds at a time.

Held up to the sky, A handful of thistle seeds – Cast into the wind.

Imagine taking the first name Basho!

And below is one by the outstanding haiku poet, Santoka that I copied from the World Kigo Database, including the Japanese, the Romaji and an explanation of the language which features striking alliteration.:

あざみ あざやかな あさの あめあがり

azami
azayaka na
asa no
ame agari


The English does not convey the alliteration of the Japanese, just the meaning.

thistle
so bright
morning
rain ends

Taneda Santoka 山頭火

No comments:

Post a Comment